Some ratepayers were cut off after a payment mishap listed them as defaulters.
Residents took to social media last week to vent their anger, at being accused of not paying their accounts and subsequent cessation of services.
The number of affected households was believed to be over 40.
A post to social media garnered a fair number of comments and reactions, including a response from a resident who said this had happened to him two months in a row.
The reported cause of the billing error was a glitch in the system.
According to a resident, who opted to remain anonymous, the municipality corrected the error soon thereafter and sent an SMS of apology to affected residents.
The matter even prompted intervention from Mayor, Makhosini Nkosi.
During Tuesday’s meeting of the Executive Committee (Exco), Cllr Nkosi used the opportunity of his unopposed proposal to explain what had happened.
“We had people cut off even though they paid, and it created an issue.”
Cllr Nkosi said after hearing of the problems, he made contact with relevant staff and the matter was resolved within an hour.
However, he was concerned at the impression residents were given.
“It’s not a good face being shown to the public, especially when there are possible reconnection fees involved.”
Cllr Nkosi urged councillors and directors to ensure payment systems were being mastered, otherwise they were to be removed.
Residents were quick to lambaste the municipality despite its swift response.
As one resident stated, the only time the municipality showed good productivity and efficiency was when it cut electricity in Newcastle west.
Add us on WhatsApp today! 082 874 5550
and BBM pin D1EF333B.
You can also email our offices on Reveshni Douglas at [email protected] Quinton Boucher at [email protected] Bruce Douglas at [email protected] Tersia Gopi at [email protected] Zianne Leibrandt at [email protected]