Aging infrastructure in Newcastle CBD causes demise of water pipes

A burst pipe on Sutherland Street caused traffic to come to a standstill in the CBD last week.

NEWCASTLE CBD – Traffic was brought to a standstill after a burst pipe at the intersection of Scott and Sutherland streets caused parts of the road to cave in on Monday, March 6.

Municipal workers excavated a portion of the road to fix the pipe the very same day, and two lanes on Sutherland Street had to be closed.

The burst pipe was reported to the municipality that morning, and during repairs a fire hydrant nearby was opened to release some of the water pressure.

Municipal customer relations manager, Doctor Dumisani Thabethe said the water infrastructure in Newcastle was as old as the town itself.

“The road was repaired, but more work still needs to be done. A large area was damaged and therefore we have engaged our Roads Department to look into the matter.”

Referring to the recent rainfall, Dr Thabethe said the bursting of pipes cannot be attributed to water hammering.

“If it were due to water hammering, the pipe would crack along the length instead of snapping. Water pipes transport potable water, not stormwater,” he concluded.

Report leaking or burst pipes to the Water and Sanitation Centre on 0860 144 144.

Share your thoughts on this subject and send through your stories to

Must read stories on the site:

Remember to visit our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.

Add us on WhatsApp today! 082 874 5550

and BBM pin D1EF333B.

You can also email our offices on Reveshni Douglas at Quinton Boucher at Bruce Douglas at Tersia Gopi at Zianne Leibrandt at Payal Devisingh at

find your
dream home

looking for an

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

Next Story
Friday Fact: Why is your data disappearing?